Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's getting more "interesting" here in Thailand

I am sad to have to say that political tensions between the "red shirt" supporters of Thaksin Shinawatra (the former Prime Minister ousted in a 2006 military coup) and the "yellow shirt" supporters of the current government are growing more tense each day.

Security in Bangkok has been increased after two separate politically motivated attacks in the capital last weekend, one at a university near Government House and one at the Supreme Court. Security agencies are worried that more violent attacks will occur ahead of the Supreme Court's verdict on Thaksin's 76 billion baht (2.29 billion U.S. dollars) asset seizure case on February 26.

In response to all this, the Canadian and Australian governments have advised their citizens to consider safety matters very carefully when travelling to Thailand, according to the Tourism Council of Thailand.

There seems to be no end in sight to this political unrest, which is very unfortunate. It probably does give the impression that my country is unstable and perhaps even unsafe. It is all very sad.

But let me reassure you that Thai people are always very kind and friendly to foreign visitors, and I am certain that there is no way anyone from either side of the political divide would cause harm to any foreigners.

Certainly it is advisable to keep away from the parts of Bangkok where national government buildings are located, but everywhere else - the most famous tourist areas such as the central Siam shopping complexes, Sukhumvit Road (including Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy), Phloen Chit and Chit Lom, Silom (including Patpong), Khaosan Road, and the famous temples and palaces along the Chao Phraya river - are all very safe for foreigners.

My husband is from England, and he says the same as me: Thailand is safer, nicer, friendlier, more kind and caring than most countries in the world, despite recent reports to the contrary.

1 comment:

wafik amin said...

Dear Sureephon, my wife and I have planned a visit to Thailand from 30th of March to the 2nd of April. we will visit Bangkok and Phuket. We have or air tickets and reservations in hotels in bothe cities. Please send me your openion about this journey. Please extend my regards to you husband. My email is wafik_amin@yahoo.com
My mobile is 009746749054 I am an Egyptian living in Qatar. Kind regards. Dr. Wafik Amin